Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I DO NOT HEART CANCER

On Monday a woman I work with mentioned in passing that a friend of hers has cancer (it started in one of her kidneys over the summer and is now in her lungs) and was still commuting to the city from NJ every day. My co-worker is the sweetest woman and couldn't stand to see her friend so frail and struggling to get to work - so she held her arm and walked her to her office before coming to work.

Last night I decided to make her friend a chemo-cap - it's the least I could do. Today I bribed the girls at work to let me take a couple 10 minute breaks during the day so I could finish the ribbing.

When I went to drop it off the cap, my co-worker was so taken aback by the gesture. However, when I asked about her friend she said she was in the hospital and she might not see her again. I was SO sad I can not even tell you. The woman's name is Betsey...please say a prayer for her.

My Uncle Fred died of lung cancer 3 years ago when I was pregnant with Casey. It's just a horrible disease and it breaks my heart to remember how young he was (only 63 or so).

Cancer makes me very angry. Cancer makes me very sad.

Life is short. When you can, take time to tell anyone you care about (friends, family, otherwise) how much they mean to you. Sometimes the simplest gesture of kindness makes all the difference in the world.

Appreciate someone you know today!

No comments: