Thursday, September 11, 2008

Stash Busting (!!!) and other tidbits of the day

So I've been on a stash busting binge lately - which is not to say, necessarily, that I'm not also buying yarn - but I'm trying to use (and/or sell on Ravelry) the yarns that have been in my stash a long time. So far I've sold 4 skeins of Plymouth Colorspun and 2 skeins of Sarah's sock yarn. I've used 2 skeins of Caron's Simply Soft (for my Loppem) and am using up more Lion Brand Baby Soft for a baby blanket. Next project is a sweater for Casey using up 7 balls of Classic Elite Star (4 orange, 3 cream). I know there's NO way that I'll use all 7 for the sweater - that's 784 yds for a toddler?!?! I'm designing the sweater from scratch to try and incorporate a design using both the colors - perfect for Halloween time although I hope it lasts into next year for sizing. Worst comes to worst, I'll make her a matching hat and mittens with the left overs - that's the great thing about kids wear - they don't use as much yardage!

Berroco donated a couple of skeins of "Chinchilla" (thanks Kathie Doty!!!) to make chemo-caps. I'll be flying to Kansas this weekend so this yarn and pattern arrived just in time to be my "throw in the bag" project. I believe we should all take time to do charity knitting when we can...and especially when we're asked! What an honor!

My happy news of the week is that Jill blogged about the shop sample I just finished. Let me tell you what I like about making samples (besides EVERYTHING) for Jill...

First and foremost, I get to "try" new yarns that I haven't used yet. Berroco's Inca Gold is a new yarn and it worked up great for Strawberry Hill...you should consider it for your next worsted weight project - the yarn has some silk in it so the texture and drape are wonderful. Loop-d-Loop by Teva Durham's Moss yarn is soft beyond measure and description. You just have to feel it to believe it. I'd like to play with it again on a smaller needle to see how it works up in a more "fabric" way - it's on my LOVE list!

Second, I get to knit some super nice patterns/sweaters that I might not ordinarily choose for myself.

Third, I really enjoy the process of making a sweater for a woman who is just super awesome and I hope the samples bring the shop more success and exposure.


My last remarks today are a triffle on the sad side. I want to take a moment to remember those who lost their lives 7 years ago on September 11, 2001. Every year at approximately this same time, I take a minute to remember the events of the day and how they effected me. I was already at work, although uptown, when the first tower was hit and recall turning on the t.v. and seeing smoke out the windows, and sitting in silence with co-workers. It was a tragic day for everyone. As I'm typing this I heard some police sirens go off on the street below and my eyes welled up. Please say a prayer and consider yourself appreciated and hugged for each September 11th we still stand strong. I am proud to be an American.


Recent photos:

loppem at work 2

socks for dora corby september 7 2008 001

teva durham peasant blouse sept 4 2008 010

koolhaas for shelly august 2008 003

No comments: