Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Knitting a skirt with 52 stitches on size 4's?

Ok, so here's my laugh of the day!

I'm on the train to work this morning and a woman sits down next to me a few stops into the ride. I'm casting on stitches (a second attempt from last night) for the "Boston Red Sox Socks" I've decided to conjure up for Matthew's Christmas present. The problem is that I'm alternating the red (K1) and white (P1) for the top rib and since I'm twisting strands, there is a lot less S-T-R-E-T-C-H to them. So the original cast on of 44 stitches on size 3's was a wash. I recast on 52 stitches with size 4's when this woman was sitting next to me. My thinking is that I'll be able to switch to size 3's and decrease a few stitches when I switch back to st st for the leg.

Here's the funny part...

So I drop one of the dpns and have to reach down to get it. I apologize to the lady for having to lean slightly in front of her. She strikes up conversation as follows:

L: Oh, that's ok, I always wanted to knit (*what does that have to do with me dropping a needle*)
Me: Yeah, it's a great thing to do on the train
L: My friends always made sweaters for boyfriends and the arms were always too long
Me: Yeah, that happens when you can't measure someone and are trying to surprise them
L: I can embroider
Me: (*silence*)
L: You look like you're concentrating (*uh, huh*) are you making something round? It looks complicated. A skirt?
Me: No, I'm making a pair of socks for my step-son for christmas
L: Oh, socks!


AM I MAKING A SKIRT???? That was the kicker!!! Yes, because I'm clearly knitting for Barbie or my thumb! Ha ha - too funny (*at least to me*) not to share!

Yes, the train sure brings out the weirdos sometimes :o)

No comments: