Monday, October 20, 2008

Rhinebeck!

Alyssa had been telling me how awesome Rhinebeck's Sheep and Wool Festival was since last year. Every day last week all I heard from her was: birthday, Rhinebeck, birthday, Rhinebeck, birthday, Rhinbeck!

So Ken, Casey and I went to Rhinebeck yesterday...and it was AWESOME!

We knew if we were going to go, it would be on Sunday. But then Sunday morning came and it was CHILLY WILLY at home and didn't look on getting much warmer. So we waited and putzed around the house and had coffee and waffles. And then I asked Casey if she wanted to go see some sheep - and then it's all we heard about. "Daddy, come see sheep with me?" "Mommy, we're going to a farm!" Well, how could we resist that sweet innocent child's charm (we couldn't!). So we quickly got dressed, grabbed warm jackets and hats...even brought Peanut along for the ride...and hopped in the car to Rhinebeck.

The drive was spectacular...the changing colors of the trees and driving over the Kingston/Rhinecliff Bridge was breathtaking. And it only took about 1.5 hours to get there!

The fairgrounds were packed! Families, Knitters, Vendors, sheep, sheep and more sheep! I was sucked in and immediately overwhelmed! And it was fabulous!

Even Ken and Casey were amazed...granted, it wasn't exactly the farm she expected...but it was a great mix of something for everyone: sheep one row, yarn for mom the next! And I think I controlled myself pretty well - I purchased (with a project in mind!) 2 skeins of Blue Moon Luscious Single Silk (wait until I can post pictures...it's VERY luscious indeed!) and 1 skein of Socks that Rock Lightweight in Puck's Mischief (the colorway is SO fitting for the name). I also bought a glass stickpin from Moving Mud - it's a burgundy color with a heart on top and about 6" long. I've been wanting a stickpin for a while and I was happy to buy it from a local vendor.

It was also nice to see and FEEL different yarns from around the country to get an idea of what's out there. There were so many beautiful patterns...I just took mental notes (it was cheaper that way).

Well, Rhinebeck is definitely on OUR list again for next year...and we'll be getting a much earlier start on the day now that we know what to expect. Whoo hoo...can't wait!

No comments: