Thursday, November 03, 2011

ISO: The World's Best Yellow

For years, I've been obsessed with finding the perfect "yellow" yarn.

I came very close with The March Hare yarn I purchased at Rhinebeck back in 2009 (or 08?). I used it to make Kirsten Kapur's Snow Drops and Snap Peas shawl...which I love (and all of my friends want to steal).

Then I purchased some Shibui Knits sock yarn in Finch...so much brighter! I made Socktoberfest socks in 2010 and I want to live in them on all the cold days!

I've used...
Jamieson's Shetland in Goldenrod
Berroco's Comfort in Buttercup
Berroco's Pure Pima in Jojoba
Berroco's Vintage in Sunny
Knit Picks Gloss in Dandelion
Malabrigo's Worsted in Cadmium
and even purchased...
St Denis' Nordique in Honey Glaze

But I have a BIG project I need to work on and REALLY want a nice worsted weight in the PERFECT yellow. I thought of trying Cascade 220 (they have a great selection of shades) but I'm afraid the final feel of the sweater needs a little alpaca in it. So then I considered Berroco's Ultra Alpaca, but no one seems to sell the Masa color online. I guess I can start calling around to yarn shops but man, the effort!

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

You know I'm a nerd for the yellows...please help!
Cathy!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Wish I could help but I've never really looked for yellow. I have some pretty yellow in koigu and yarntini as well as the St Denis but nothing with alpaca. :-/

Anonymous said...

I have two suggestions! MadelineTosh has some really nice yellows. Butter is a bright and cheery, and Candlewick is a gorgeous yellowy gold. I've used and love both. I know you would like an alpaca blend, but in case you can't find what you're looking for this is another option.

weaverknits said...

I FOUND IT AT RHINEBECK!!!

Creatively Dyed in Yellow Britches. It's YELLOW HUE. It's COMPLETELY YELLOW. I don't see the color in Worsted in their online shop, but an inquiry might be worthwhile. Here it is in fingering weight: https://id18533.securedata.net/creativelydyed.net/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=14_33&products_id=1205

meg said...

Stonehedge Fiber Mill produces Shepherd's Wool, and they have three great yellows! This wool yarn is super soft, comes in 250 yard skeins, and is milled in Michigan.

On the negative side, because it is super soft it is prone to pilling.

But still, worth checking out!

WhitMc said...

I picked up some Sweet Georgia Superwash Worsted in Saffron about a year ago, simply because I loved the yellow color and could not live without it in my stash--I have not knit anything with it yet, but check it out: http://eatsleepknit.com/cshop/product/SweetGeorgia-Yarns-Superwash-Worsted/3315/# They also have "Goldmine" which is a bit richer.