Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kitchener...a Friend?

I'm in the middle of holiday gift knitting. Seriously. In. The. Middle. I have about 3 or 4 things that I'm rotating because of their process. DPNs for the kids gifts. Large needles for a hat. Straights for a *gasp* scarf (more on that later). A sweater/vest/something for someone/me?

Last night I was working on the first of the "kids gifts". I had to kitchener. Kitchener and I have never been friends...try as I may to make the relationship work. I am patient. I am kind. I read everything five times before I even attempt it. Yet, somewhere between my brain and hands, something gets lost in translation. But last night...EUREKA! After doing *something* wrong and having it look wonky, a specific *something* that I could VISUALIZE this time - I FINALLY figured it out - something clicked. I can't explain what I was doing wrong - or even might do wrong again - but I *saw* kitchener. Granted, I've *seen* it PLENTY of times before - but this time, by George, I think I've got it. Hooray!

As for the aforementioned scarf. What is it about scarves that has such a negative connotation these days? Scarves are only for beginners? Real knitters make cowls? I guess we learn how to knit by making a scarf so it seems so elementary when we set out to make one later. This will be my second scarf in a month - the first being for charity (Red Scarf Project) and the second for a co-worker who, every time he sees my knitting, asks "Is that a scarf for me?" Well, this time the answer will be different - but hopefully a surprise. I'm making the Beagle Scarf from Norah Gaughan's Men's booklet - it's a 4 row repeat that I *finally* picked up once you get a couple inches into it. The edges don't curl (love that!) and there's enough mix in the pattern that it's not boring to knit (for 60").

Who else is in the Holiday Knitting Bog with me? Ain't it a blast? ha ha

Happy Knitting Y'all!

6 comments:

jlr said...

I've done 5 pairs of socks, am working on a 6th, and plan do to 4 or 5 more. I just finished the baby sweater yesterday, so that leaves a kid's hat and mittens set, and a Pi shawl for my sister. Really need to pick up the pace. I thought I was being so good - I started before Labor Day, but I guess the pressure wasn't there to make the pace fast enough. Oh well. I'll get there. And I know all the handknits will be appreciated and loved, which is very important.

Laura said...

I've had problems with kitchener before, too. After about my eighth pair of socks with wonky-looking toes, I realized that in one instance, I was knitting instead of purling. How long have I been knitting? Shouldn't I know the difference between knitting and purling by now?!

I too am in Christmas gift central ... I'm on the toe to finish pair no. 2, and I have one more to go (knitting in DK-weight helps). Good luck knitting!

Dora said...

I always find that funny because Kitchner has always been a snap for me in some weird way. It just seemed to click for me. Oh well, but don't ask me to rub my belly and pat my head at the same time. At that I am a total dork :)

Dora said...

Oh and holiday knitting... I just gave up this year. Just can't wrap my head around it and job searching. So I am making socks for me and trying to finish a coat for me too. Yep, it is the holiday of all me all the time :)

craftivore said...

Kitchener clicked for me this year finally too, it's such a good feeling.

craftivore said...

Kitchener clicked for me this year finally too, it's such a good feeling.