Monday, March 26, 2007

Update on knitting (still no photos)

Since the last post i've been QUITE busy...

Yellow socks for sister (Knit Simple pattern - Lion Brand BabySoft from the stash). Size 3 dpns

Multi- socks for mom (Knit Simple pattern - Marble yarn that I got on sale). Size 3 dpns

Fair Isle hat for husband (Knit It! pattern - Lion Brand wool-ease in black and charchoal grey)

Hat for me (own pattern - Lion Brand Wool Thick & Quick in Fisherman). Size 11 dpns

Red basket weave scarf for me (Vogue Knitting pattern - Lion Brand Wool-Ease in Ranch Red). Size 3 & 6 dpns

Cabled toddler poncho for Niece (own pattern). Caron Perfect Match in a greens/purples hue. Did not like using this yarn - however, it will keep Abby warm when she wears it. Also, I used a basic repeating cable pattern which is hard to see due to the color changes in the yarn. Can't recall needle size.

Grey Pentagon sweater for me (Vogue Knitting pattern - with MAJOR modifications - love this sweater!!!) Caron Simply Soft in Grey Heather. Size 9 straights and dpns

From the shelves: Cream and Brown basket-weave turtleneck sweater for me (started this back in the early 1990's) . Own pattern derived from several in an old Vogue Knitting issue. Lion Brand wool-ease in fisherman and mink brown. Probably used circular size 10.5 needles. Finished neck and sleeves recently - but might still be a work in progress to extend sleeve length

Brown alpaca vest for me (own pattern) (from an OLD stash of yarn - Al Pa Ka in mink brown). Love the finished product but it's VERY warm so will be perfect for next winter as spring is almost here in New Jersey. I believe I used Size 11 straights - 2 strands of yarn at a time

Aqua sleeveless top (own pattern) in Red Heart Soft & Moda Dea Cherish in Ocean blue. I originally planned on making the Ultra Femme sweater from Stitch N Bitch Nation - but the sleeves and neckline were finishing TOO big - so after ripping it out twice, I finally decided on finishing it without sleeves in a crew neckline. Still not sure if I love it yet, but it's done (for now). Bottom on circular size 10 to make gauge. Top & Sleeves (1st try) - used size 5 circulars. Top and sleeves (2nd try) - used size 4 circulars and 1/3 fewer stitches. Top and NO sleeves (3rd try) - used size 4 circular and new design - works, but not 100% in love.

Baby Boy Blankets (Lion Brand pattern - using Micro Spun and Baby Soft yarns in blues and greens). One is for my sister, the other for a co-worker - both due in May...both need their "tails" sewn in. Size 9 straights.

Cabled afghan (Lion Brand pattern - using Lion Brand Wool Thick & Quick in Fisherman and Sky Blue). Made this for a school fundraising auction. Will be nice to see who goes home with this lovely (and warm!!) blanket . Can't remember the sizing on this - straights for sure (7" at that).


Currently going on the needles:

On the train: Sweater for Matthew - own design using duck pattern within. Being 10, Matthew doesn't care so much about the type of yarn - he's just concerned about the pattern and color. That said, the smart boy picked colors from my stash - yippie, more room for new yarns!!!

On the couch: Sweater for me - using RYC Cashsoft Baby DK in Borage 806 - a kind of pastel lavender color. Will be modifying a sweater I found in Knit 2 Together by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark - it's a cardigan with pea pods on it - I'll be reworking it into a pullover since I hate how button down shirts/sweaters fall on me. The pattern calls for size 1 and 2 needles - so it will probably take a while to get through it. But I bought this wonderful yarn - my first official "good yarn" at The Knitting Closet in Denville. The owner, Susan, was very helpful and friendly. I admit I was afraid of knitting stores after my horrible experience at Stitches East in NYC (and I've only needed needles - imagine if i had requested help with yarn what "bitches" they would be!!!). Anyway, I'm excited about this project - nervous to screw up based on the cost of the yarn, but i'm sure i'll be fine :o)

No comments: